Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Results of Seminar

So we are home from the seminar.  It was VERY informative.  One item I found interesting, even though I figured it wouldn't be an option for me anyways, was that the latest data is showing that the Lap Band has a 40% failure rate and that most of the Lap Band surgeries they do nowadays is to REMOVE the Band.  We received info on all 3 procedures and the pros and cons of each.  I was able to talk to the surgeon briefly afterwards and my research was correct....for someone like me, we are looking at the Sleeve procedure.  There is a chance...because my BMI is so high, that the Sleeve would be the first step, and then the bypass done a year or two later.  But a lot of that depends on how much I actually lose with the Sleeve.

My application has been turned in and I should hear from someone within 5 business days.  Meanwhile, I need to call my insurance company to get the specifics of all their requirements.  I know they cover the procedure, but each company has it's own requirements, such as how long other attempts to lose weight were done, and BMI requirements.

So those are my next steps for now.  It'll take 3 to 6 months to do all the necessary items and appointments in order to have the surgery.  So worst-case, it will be July or August...best case it could be April.  Only time will tell.

3 comments:

  1. super excited for you! you know you can give me a buz if you ever want to chat about this stuff :) ...I'm literally a phone call away, unless I'm at your house

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina! You know I'll be calling you the more I get into this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MIL here, totally behind and fully supportive your efforts. Happy to talk with you any time about this. It should be quite educational all the way around. You Go Girl!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete