Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, May 29, 2015

Tomorrow will be a big day

Tomorrow I will be participating in my first 5k walk.  It is the bubble run in Joliet at the Speedway.  The "run" starts at 9:00 am, and I need to be there around 7 to get my packet and register and stuff.

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I am very, very excited.  3 of my nieces with 3 of my grand-nieces will be walking/running with me.  For that I am very, very grateful.  Now I fully expect them to blow me out the water, and that's ok.  A friend was also going to walk, but she had to cancel at the last minute for something very important that came up (and it is much more important for her to do the other thing).  Since she had to cancel, she can transfer her entry to another person, so I might ask my daughter if she still wants to walk with me.  She had expressed an interest, but I didn't sign her up because she broke her arm and was in a cast.  She just got the cast off and is in just a splint, which would be much easier to protect.  So if she is interested, we might just have her do it.  Which will be nice for me because I know she will stay with me.

On the other hand, I'm scared.  I have yet to walk 5 kilometers (3.2 miles) when I have gone walking.  In my heart, I know I can do it, but at the same time...what if I fail?  What if I can't do it?  I thought I would do more training for this and be able to walk a full 5k by this point.  The furthest I've gone is just shy of 2 miles.  I'm expecting this to take me about 90 minutes to do based on the times of shorter walks.  Am I going to be the last one to cross the finish line?  If so, does it really matter?

I bought a new pair of capris for the event.  They are kinda like spandex and I got them from the "activewear" section at Target.  I'm still blown away that I found something that fits me in that section.  And they are only a 2x in womens which is awesome!  It still amazes me that I can go in to "regular" stores now and be able to find clothes.

18 short months ago I weighed almost 400 pounds!  Then I think back to the turning point in this journey which was on September 9, 2014.  That was surgery day.  That was a short 8 months and 20 days ago.  Before surgery, I couldn't walk through a store without having aching feet and being worn out, if I could walk it at all.  8 months and 19 days ago I was recovering from major surgery. Now I can walk up and down stairs and walk almost 2 miles.  Tomorrow, I'll be walking a 5k.  Simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment